Moving has really cut into my quilting time! I have cleared a path and can actually turn on my sewing machine, but finding the supplies I need for anything is a challenge. Because I knew this would be the case I planned ahead for our current small project in ThreadBenders.
When we exhibit our work at shows and galleries we make signage to go with the exhibit. We always need to have a way to identify our group and Connie came up with a great idea! All of us wanted to participate, so each member chose one of the letters in ThreadBenders out of a bag. Since we have 3 more members than letters, we included 3 “quilters choice” blank blocks. The challenge? To make each letter as a 6″ finished quilt. Any technique, any fabric, any finish. I got “h”.
The week before I packed up my stash, I picked out a metallic/cotton fabric and decided my block would be a whole cloth. I quilted a cursive “h” and spiraled around it. The letter didn’t show up as well as I had hoped, so I colored it in with a green Shiva paintstick. I had just enough time and energy to sew the binding to the front of my small quilt, and decided hand stitching it to the back would have to wait. But how would I find it to finish it in the new house? I placed it under the presser foot on my machine before packing it up!!! (sometimes I amaze myself 🤣)
The night before our July meeting I was able to find a needle and thread ~ and my block was finished in time for the big reveal:
There were 3 members missing that night, so we’re missing the B, r and one quilter’s choice block. I think the ones we have so far are spectacular (the 2 quilters choice are in the upper right)!
There’s so much variety in color, font, technique… I love it all! We will be able to hang them horizontally, vertically, any way we want to fit the space with each exhibit. What a fun idea! Thanks Connie!
Last week 2 dear quilters sent me photos of optical illusion quilts and I thought you’d like to see them too!
Judy said she was at an art gallery recently and saw this quilt. She’s purchased the pattern and can’t wait to make it:
Then Sandy sent me photos of 2 lovely quilts along with this note:
“Here are two optical illusion quilts I have made from the
same pattern. The red one is a good sized wall hanging and the aqua one
is a miniaturized version. There is no top or bottom. They can be hung
lengthwise or widthwise and look great however. They seem to change as
you walk past them.”
Fascinating! Thanks ladies!
And one more thing:
A few weeks ago I posted about using weights to control rulers. The link I included for the video didn’t go directly to the specific video on YouTube. Click here for the direct link!