We’re making progress on our “new” home. The roof has been replaced and we have money down on the exterior siding which should be done in November. Our carpenter friend, John, has repaired almost every door and threshold in the house, and now he’s working on my studio!!! Hooray! I’ll be posting an update on that story soon.
One of the problems John helped us with was in the upstairs bathroom. There was a 4″ gap on both sides of the vanity ~ and the previous owner didn’t finish the floor and wall at the back of the openings. It was ugly. So John made “boxes” to fill the void and I painted them.
It looked much better, but it need a little something more. Being an interior bathroom there were no windows, so an opening had been made to the foyer below, and a stained glass window was put in place to give the small room some light. It’s actually quite lovely and it can be tipped open for ventilation.
This gave me an idea. Perhaps our vanity needed stained glass sidelights. So I measured the space, did a few sketches,
and traced my chosen design onto fusible interfacing. Then I cut fabric pieces and fused them in place on the interfacing.
If you’ve never used Clover Fusible Quick Bias™, or you haven’t played with it in a while, I highly recommend it. I’m grateful that I have a few spools in a variety of colors on hand (and that I found the box that currently contains them). For this project I chose the traditional black “leading”. I cut the pieces and ironed them in place one at a time, being careful to hide the ends under crossing strips.
Since my sidelights would be laying on a flat surface I decided not to use batting. So I layered them with a backing fabric and quilted everything by topstitching the edges of all the bias strips with black thread. They were finished with a 1/4″ wide black binding,
And set in place.
They really do draw everything together!
And I made them completely out of my stash. That’s why we need a stash 😊!
I’ve used Quick Bias in a number of projects and thought I’d share just a few more:
Also, I have a few more initial signatures to share that were inspired by a recent post (click here for that post). Tomi Fay wrote that she likes to just use her initials in lower case:
“My initials – TFF, are very boxy so not open to flourish. I do not like handwriting my capital letters. I write my name by printing the T, F, and F and then writing the rest of the name. So years ago when I had a job where I had to initial items I read, I decided to just write my initials in lower-case script. I never thought of putting these on a quilt!”
Donna is a part of ThreadBenders and sent me her doodle page:
“I’ve been doodling with this since your suggestion at our meeting. Attached are some of my doodles. I think I’ve settled on the large B with D in top section, M in bottom section…all surrounded by a large Q. I’ll try to have a sample by Wednesday for our meeting.”
I really enjoy seeing what quilters come up with 😊!